Monday, February 13, 2017

Empathy and Sympathy!

I observed that I sometimes lay down my thoughts whether thoughts or questions or comments, without fully appreciating the possible mindset of the other person.

For example, I should be provide more energy and boost to someone who is not having a good day. Be sympathetic in such a case. Massage their ego - not to gain a favor but to make them feel better. At other times, you might feel the other person is just bragging - try to understand the actual reasons behind them. Maybe they are actual experts in the area and there might be something for me to learn from it. Observe their actions and understand why that makes me feel like they are bragging rather than just being confident. I can then aim to not make those mistakes.

How might I get better at this?
I need to be much more conscious in observing others' behaviors. Rather than focus on what I am supposed to do, pause and better understand the other person. Be empathetic. Get into their shoes if possible and understand their needs. Ask them how they are feeling! Remember their issues and ask them about it at some other time. Make that personal connections at a deeper level than just the regular tip of the iceberg discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment