Saturday, February 11, 2017

Reinforce Learnings!

Podcast has been a fascinating medium for me to learn from in the last two years. It provides an opportunity to learn while doing mundane routine work like walking or driving to work. It ensures I can stay in the gym for the bare minimum time. It is amazing times we live in where we can learn from the very best of best so easily. Podcasts like Tim Ferris show are a boon to today's digital generation as they struggle through life for not physical needs like food and shelter but more importantly for peace of mind.

However, while I hope I am absorbing the learnings, that is probably not the case most of the time. I feel I consume a lot but not applying the learnings as much as I should. In fact, not even close.

That is where I feel blogging can be very helpful. Discussing my thoughts with my wife or a friend is important and definitely allows me a platform to discuss my learnings and strengthen the related neural connections in my own brain. However, many a times, they stay in my head and just leak out over time without any useful application. That is where writing can put the screws on those leaks so the learnings stay with me and be applied as necessary.

Secondly, writing would enable me to develop the very important skill of 'observation'. That is one skill I definitely need to strengthen. Starting today, I will write one post a day whether as short as one sentence. It could be about anything I observed during the day - about myself or a friend or family member or the weather or the suitcase.

That reminds of the observation exercise I performed a couple of days back. Lying on the bed - I saw the lamp and a suitcase and I had the make a connection. I started thinking of how a lamp can be inside a suitcase for example. I continued to push and thought of 'what if' we could leverage the energy of the rolling wheels of a suitcase? Like for example, having a battery attached to it that gets recharged and a small USB port next to it that enables us to charge our electronic devices such as mobiles and laptops. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Now, the learning here for me is not the idea itself, but the fact that a good idea does not come in the first thought itself. You have to push yourself and let the neural nerves make the relevant connections. It does not happen instantaneously in most cases. That is where the skill of prototyping or experimentation is so critical. You have to learn from your mistakes and you do that by letting yourself make mistakes. Generate random ideas - put them out there. They will eventually get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment