Sunday, February 19, 2017

The wait!

Human psyche is fragile. We let ourselves be smashed around with the constant stream of information thrown at us in this age. Our egos are sometimes bruised while pumped up at other times. What psychological constructs can we use as barriers against these high amplitudes of emotions? Or frankly, do we even need to?

The past one year has been such a time for my psyche. It has been constant pressure and a life full of changes and surprises. In hindsight, I might not have it any other way. But one thing, that has kept me going is this image of a beautiful future together.

It has been a long wait for that to happen and now it is just a week away. It still doesn't feel like it. We knew the long wait almost two years back. It seemed so far out then. But now it is almost over. It feels unreal. Something that I had dreamed of for so long is finally going to be part of my life forever.

But here is the catch. It would soon be normal. Living together would not have the same excitement a few years down the line like it is right now. This is the theory of default happiness. Whatever happens in our lives, our happiness levels peak or fall, but then they tend to go back to the default levels pretty soon. For example, a study says that one person who won a lottery and another who got paraplegic, after a year, happiness level of both people would tend to go back to the level before either won lottery or became paraplegic.

So, while I juggle between the excitement and expected fall back to normal happiness level, I need to be conscious of this wait. I need to feel immense gratitude when tough days come back that this is what we dreamed of for years. To be able to share every moment of our lives together. It is worth the tough times ahead.

But till then, I am so excited to be able to wake up next to my beautiful wife every day for rest of my life.

I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment